Pedagogy and methodology of French courses at Lyon Bleu International.
Generally speaking, the pedagogy, methodology and content proposed in the French courses in Lyon Bleu International refer to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) and its pedagogical principles as well as the objectives required for each DELF/DALF and TCF examination level.
There are several syllabuses for French courses at Lyon Bleu and each syllabus is a pedagogical program by level to learn French for each type of French course offered at Lyon Bleu :
- Syllabus for group courses and combined courses in General French
- Syllabus for individual courses in General French
- Syllabus for individual DELF/DALF/TCF exam preparation courses
Which syllabus for group courses and combined courses in General French?
There is a syllabus for the following levels:
- A1.1 (A0): 2-week syllabus
- A1, A2, B1, B2: 8-week syllabus
- C1: 16-week syllabus
- C2 : syllabus in individual courses of General French
The syllabus offers 3 sections each week:
For the "Communication" and "Grammar" sections, objectives are proposed each week for each level.
The teacher will make work choices with the group based on the individual and collective prior knowledge of the group participants over the week.
For the "Vocabulary" section, 2 themes are proposed each week and the teacher chooses a theme to work on in depth during the week and will make it an opportunity to acquire, deepen or be in the oral and written practice of the language.
The four language skills are worked on throughout the week (listening comprehension, oral production, written comprehension, written production).
The teachers are free to prepare and propose the pedagogical means they wish, tailor-made material, adapted to the needs of the trainee/student, in the form of distributed photocopied files or in computerised form (no particular manual).
Evaluations will be carried out weekly, corresponding to the four language skills in continuous assessment: summative exercises, tests, self-assessment and dialogue between teacher and students.
Which syllabus for individual General French courses?
For individual courses of General French, each program is tailor-made for each student enrolled in a course with individual lessons. Each level includes a number of sequences, containing grammatical and communicational objectives.
- Level A1.1 (A0): 2 sequences
- Level A1, A2, B1, B2: 8 sequences
- Level C1: 16 sequences
- Level C2: 4 sequences
Vocabulary themes are also proposed for each level of French, to be linked to the sequences and contents selected for the French program.
How is the individual French program built?
- The student is tested before the start of the course, both in writing and orally, to establish a first level of skills and knowledge.
- The student must also complete a needs questionnaire where he or she can specify which objectives and skills he or she wishes to work on during the French program.
- If necessary, the educational manager can also contact you by email or Skype for more information.
- The teacher and the person in charge of teaching establish an initial French programme on the basis of these elements and by choosing the sequences to be worked on at one or more levels, taking into account the results of prior assessments, the needs expressed, the type of programme and its duration and, in the case of a combined course, the contents that will be seen in group classes.
This first program will be specified and validated during the first class with the student and may be adapted throughout the course, according to the student's progress and changing needs. The final programme will always be presented with the list of contents and the evaluation of the degree of acquisition of these contents.
Supports and materials used :
Teachers are free to prepare and propose the teaching methods they wish, tailor-made material adapted to the trainee/student's needs, in the form of photocopied files distributed or in computerised form.
Assessment and validation of prior learning :
Throughout the individual program, the teacher and the student will evaluate the student's progress through various exercises and individual tests.
Which syllabus for DELF /DALF TCF exam preparation?
DELF/DALF/TCF exams can be prepared :
- With a French program in option: by adding 5 lessons or 10 lessons per week of Delf/Dalf exam preparation
- With a pure CP program
- Or both
For the group program, the syllabus of the group course and combined course in General French is used.
For the individual part: each program is tailor-made according to the level of the exam prepared by the student and follows the procedure of evaluation and construction of the individual course program.
This first program will be specified and validated during the first class with the student and can be adapted throughout the course, according to the student's progress and changing needs. If necessary, additional content may be added to deepen the language skills in order to prepare for the exam.
The program comes with :
- The broad goals and specifics related to the preparation of the examination
- The acquisition level of these goals
- One space (graded exercises / mock exams)
Supports and materials used :
The teachers are free to prepare and propose the pedagogical means they wish, tailor-made material, adapted to the needs of the trainee/student, in the form of distributed photocopied files or in computerised form. They will give priority to specific material dedicated to the preparation of the DELF/DALF exams available in the resource centre of Lyon Bleu International.
Assessment and validation of prior learning :
Throughout the individual program, the teacher and the student will evaluate the student's progress through different exercises and tests. The teacher will also propose graded exercises and mock exams throughout the preparation program, and will record notes on the program.
Lyon Bleu International and Evalang
Lyon Bleu and its pedagogical team choose to focus on a formative evaluationThis is an integral part of the learning process, allowing the teacher and the student to position themselves continuously in the progression and evaluation of the objectives that remain to be achieved throughout their French course program.
Nevertheless, we have found it necessary to provide any student who wishes to do so, at any time during their program, a summative evaluation, in order to be able to complete the evaluation process with an "external" test.
We chose Evalang :
- 100% online
- Simple and fast
- Based on the CECR
Evalang assesses general French skills on the following competencies: written comprehension, oral comprehension, grammar and lexicon. It is possible to take this test at any time during the French program. The team of Lyon Bleu is there to advise students who wish to buy and take this test.
10€ / Test Evalang
For more information click on the following link - www.evalang.fr
Tutoring at Lyon Bleu International
Since 2011, Lyon Bleu offers its students tutoring sessions which are additional French courses to provide a context for practice and development of the program as seen in the classroom.
There are 3 types of tutoring at Lyon Bleu :
- Internal tutoring
- External tutoring
- Free tutoring
To offer classroom assistance to a teacher who has to deal with a heterogeneous class and/or with one for several learners in difficulty :
- Understand the instructions,
- To help with written and oral comprehension in class,
- To help identify learning difficulties and propose solutions,
- Helping to understand the explanations given by the teacher,
- Helping to activate knowledge,
- To help with memorization,
- Helping with oral and written production in class (spontaneous or prepared),
- Helping to build confidence and enhance the value of acquired knowledge.
Provide learners with additional resources and practice and development sessions each week in mini-groups with a teacher. Each week, 90-minute sessions in mini-groups of 2 to 6 people are offered for each level. External tutoring is open to all students from Lyon Bleu and is FREE.
For more specific and personalized objectives, Lyon Bleu International also offers you individual tuition programs.
Personalized tutoring / Educational resources
In addition to external tutoring, Lyon Bleu offers students of Lyon Bleu pedagogical support with a tutor for individual needs:
With the Tutor:
- Homework help.
- Proofreading / correction of written exercises.
- Questions / Answers about grammar, vocabulary, culture...
- Speaking activities.
- Provision of a list of cultural resources that may be of interest to students (books, songs, films, advertisements for cultural events, etc.).
- Remediation activities on certain skills or knowledge.
With the digital resources of Lyon Bleu :
- Individual online resources to practice grammar, vocabulary, reading and listening comprehension
- Self-corrected supplementary exercises
- Personalized pedagogical path followed by the tutor and the teachers of Lyon Bleu